Saturday, July 15, 2017

Love Birds ATCs

These ATCs were made for a swap with the FB Art Swap Group for the theme "Feathers".

I used Darkroom Door stamp sets 'Feathers' and 'Love Birds' with Distress Inks, Liquitex mixed media paper and mulbury paper. 

Firstly I inked and stamped feather stamps onto the mulbery paper using Distress ink in Peeled Paint, Twisted Citron, Tea Dye and Peacock Feathers. I just kept inking and layering feathers until I liked what I saw.

They had to be put aside to dry as I used so much ink!

The love birds were inked with Squeezed Lemonade, Rusty Hinge, Twisted Citron and Peacock Feathers (with Pumice Stone for the feet) at the same time before stamping onto the mixed media paper. Normally I'd use my watercolour markers but my yellow is dry so used ink pads instead... not as accurate but it still worked. 

fyi... To refill Distress markers, pull out the brush nib, add a few drops of the same colour Reinker using the eye dropper then put the nib back in.

Their beaks were coloured afterwards with Barn Door and the eyes with black Sharpie. Edges were inked with Pumice Stone... inking edges always seems to finish off pieces and lift them from the surface.

The branch was inked with Walnut Stain and cut separately from the birds.
The words 'love birds' were stamped in black Archival ink.
All were handcut (fussy cut) including the little heart (in mulbery paper) before sticking into place.

Retail therapy links...
Distress Inks (msg to order any not here) 

Thanks for reading :) Hope they make you smile!

Sunday, April 9, 2017

Scribble Sticks go to the Circus

My latest art journal page for a swap with friends for the theme of "circus".

Hand drawn and painted onto Liquitex acrylic paper using Dina Wakley's fabulous Scribble Sticks with a waterbrush. I also used Winsor & Newton Watercolour Paint Sticks (not much this time, mostly used Dina's) and Dylusions Paint Pens (the red and white) for a few details with a splash of white acrylic paint for the fabric.

I started with drawing red and white big top stripes using the ruby Dina Wakley art stick... but I got carried away and it was way too much for what I wanted, so sprayed it with water. This just turned it all into a red mess ... I used too much water! lol Things we do!

I then added blue and purple with the Dina Wakley art sticks and smooshed it all around with my fingers while it was still wet. The swirling purples gave me an idea so I dried off the middle circle, lifting off the excess.
You can just see the remains behind some areas of the purple.

With so much water used, I had to put it aside... no matter how much I waved air over it, it just wasn't drying!

The next day it looked ok :) Phew! 
I painted brown and red stripes inside the circle with black around the edge and also over the corners of the page.

The silk trapeze artist was drawn in pencil and painted using more DW sticks, as paint rather than using them direct on the page. I added layers and layers of red brush strokes for her hair before painting in the silk. Adding more red squiggly lines afterwards with Dylusions paint pen and even more curly lines in black.

It looked a bit plain... but the star dust Icestickles glitter glue soon fixed that and added that bit of glamour to her hair and leotard. Its amazing what a few spots of glitter will do :)

I like how its turned out :) Thanks so much for reading my blog post.

Happy Creative Day!

Must Have Books